I must admit heading to one of the Aman flagship properties my expectations were high but I never imagined anywhere could be THIS good! Being a self-professed Bali-addict, this trip marked the 19th time I had visited the ‘island of the gods’. I simply cant get enough of the delicious food, bohemian vibe and the gentle, spiritual culture of the Balinese people.
I am not alone in my love for this tropical island covered in palm trees, rice fields and warm, blue waters. In fact, an estimated 4.6 million tourist visited Bali in 2016. To cater for her guests, Bali is covered in 5 star resorts offering an extraordinary calibre of comfort and sophistication. The Amankila is the ultimate example of such luxury.
The Amankila is comprised of 34 traditional Balinese thatched roof bales all perched on a hill allowing you to admire the views out to the turquoise waters of the Lombok straight. Each of the suites have their own terraces with sun-lounges & day beds where you can while away the days with a good book and a G & T…ahhhh heaven! Of course being an Aman property be prepared for rock-star service where the staff are discreetly attentive and somehow know your preferences from the moment you arrive.
Amankila is one of those places you have to experience to believe so get your bikini & your kindle ready for a trip you wont soon forget! As always, here are my top 5 tips for anyone visiting the magnificent Amankila:
1. BOAT TOUR: A must when staying at Amankila is to take a private boat tour on the spectacular Aman XII, a luxuriously converted traditional Balinese fishing boat. We even had our own snorkel guide who didn’t disappoint. We saw hundreds of colourful fish & beautiful big turtles. BLISS.
2. BOOK THE KILASARI SUITE: Upon recommendation we booked the panoramically endowed Kilasari Suite and boy was it worth it. I remember laughing at the look on my boyfriend’s face when we checked in…think 4 year old girl getting a pony for Christmas and you’re halfway there! The kilasari suite has a 12-metre private infinity pool as well as an expansive terrace that you wont want to leave.
3. BEACHFRONT YOGA: During our stay we did a morning yoga class in a beautiful pavilion by the beach. The instructors at Aman are all trained by a local guru and that came through in the unique practise we experienced. To our surprise, the class incorporated “laughing yoga” where we sat in a circle deep belly laughing for about 30 minutes with our fellow guests. Your fake laugh soon turns genuine (and contagious) and we had so much fun! Laughter really is like a green smoothie for the soul, I couldn’t keep the smile off my face all day.
4. GET A MASSAGE: I urge you to experience a traditional Balinese massage available in the suites, the massage pavilion, a beach bale or I found a perfectly secluded open-air spot with a tropical canopy!
5. RICE TABLE ROOM SERVICE: We decided to eat dinner on our terrace on evening and ordered the “rice table” which is a selection of traditional Indonesian dishes. We popped out for a cocktail and when we came back our entire suite and terrace were aglow with candlelight. We had a beautiful table set up outside and felt like royalty as a succession of waiters brought us a variety of mouth-watering local delicacies all serviced in exquisite silver dishes. Next level romantic.